Canon printers, although high-performing ones do not always function smoothly. Out of the many issues that its users face, Canon printer offline seems to be the most pervasive one. This error halts your printing tasks and renders you unable to carry out any urgent work. This problem can be the consequence of a connection issue between your computer and printer, paper jam, or corrupt printer drivers. A poor internet connection and an empty paper tray are other causes that lead users to face this issue. Fortunately, there are various methods you can employ to fix it. Here are some of the most efficient Canon printer troubleshooting techniques you can employ.
Ways to Tackle Canon Printer Offline Issue
There are multiple ways to change the status of an offline Canon printer. Follow these solutions and try to resolve the offline glitch.
Check the wireless communication.
The first step in dealing with this issue is to examine Wi-Fi communication. Fix this communication by following these points.
- Reboot your system if you had connected your printer wirelessly and made no changes in the hardware.
- Configure your Canon printer wirelessly and establish the wireless connection again.
- Is your system linked to a virtual private network or VPN? It might be disturbing the printer communication. So disconnect from the VPN and check for the issue.
Check if your printer is in sleep mode.
Another simple Canon printer offline fix is to check whether your printing device is not in sleep mode. In this mode, it will always show an offline status. You must verify printer power. So, turn on your printer by pressing the power button. If it doesn’t switch on, reconnect the power cable. Now, hit the power button and turn on your Canon printer. It won’t show an offline status.
Install the printer driver again.
Corrupt printer drivers or obsolete ones that are not compatible with the new Windows version will cause you to face the offline error. You can fix it by reinstalling the driver. To do so, just go over to the official Canon Support page. Here, type in your printer’s model name. Then, choose it. You’ll then be brought to the Drivers and Downloads page. Hit ‘Download the driver‘ for your specific printer model and adhere to the guidelines on the screen to install the driver file.
Resolve the paper jam issue.
If your printer is showing a paper jam error, you need to clear this error immediately to fix the problem. Follow these points to resolve the paper jam.
- Don’t give any more commands to your printer.
- Switch off your Canon printer.
- Now, open the printhead door and take away the printer head slowly.
- Remove the paper jammed in it.
- Clean the printer head. After it’s clean, put it back in its place.
- Now, load the tray with some paper. Turn it on and give it a printing command.
Turn off the Use Printer Offline functionality.
The Use Printer Offline functionality prevents your printer from listening to your commands. You must disable this feature by going to the Control Panel.
- Go to the ‘Control Panel’ section directly or look for it in the search box.
- In this area, click ‘Hardware and Sound.’
- After that, pick the option of ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Below the ‘Printers’ catalog, find your printing device and right-tap it. Once you do that, hit the option ‘See what’s printing.’
- Now tap the ‘Printer‘ tab. Find if the option of ‘Use Printer Offline‘ is checked.
- If you find a tick mark beside it, you have found the reason your printer is showing an offline status.
- Tap the ‘Printer‘ tab once more. But now, hit ‘Cancel All Documents.’
- That’s it. You can now start working with your printing device like before.
Restart the Canon printer spooler service
Sometimes, the printer spooler service stops functioning. Since it manages every print task, you won’t be able to print properly if this service malfunctions. Follow these points to resolve the Canon printer offline problem by restarting the printer spooler service.
- Open the ‘Run‘ dialog box. The shortcut for it is hitting the Windows and R keys together.
- You can now input ‘services.msc’ in this box.
- When you press the Enter key, you’ll notice the Services window appearing. Tap any service and keep pressing ‘P’ till you notice the printer spooler getting highlighted.
- Next, right-click on your spooler and opt for the ‘Properties’ option.
- Head to the ‘General‘ area in the ‘Properties’ window.
- Opt for ‘Stop‘ and then tap ‘OK.’ This will deactivate the printer spooler service. You can remove printing jobs.
- Head to the ‘C Drive’ followed by ‘Windows.’
- Once there, select ‘System32‘ followed by ‘Spool‘ and finally ‘Printers.’
- On the message that asks for permission, tap ‘Continue.’
- Head to the ‘General’ tab and start the spooler service.
- Set its startup type as ‘Automatic.’
- Restart your system.
These expert workarounds will undoubtedly enable you to fix the Canon printer offline fix and start working with your device. The measures will tackle connection issues, a problem in printer settings, and drivers. To get further assistance with the problem, contact professional printer technical support services.